Xerograph Deluxe Envelope Filter
The Deluxe Xerograph takes the fat, synthy filter core of the Xerograph and adds powerful and flexible envelope filter capabilities. In addition to the dubby static lowpass sounds and foot-swept resonant filter sweeps of the original Xerograph, the Deluxe Xerograph can create envelope filter sounds from classic auto-wah to modern subtractive synthesis, downward envelopes, and envelope-triggered slow synth sweeps.
- 2-pole/4-pole switch:
- 2-pole mode is a classic, funky filter with a wide, vocal-like resonance peak.
- 4-pole mode offers a fat, deep, and synthy filter with a sharp resonance peak.
- Frequency knob: When using the filter without an expression pedal, this control sets the cutoff frequency of the filter, allowing you to dial in deep, dubby bass sounds. When using an expression pedal with the Xerograph, the Frequency knob sets the low extent of the filter sweep.
- Resonance knob: Boosts frequencies around the cutoff frequency, which intensifies the effect of the filter. Set the resonance low for more subtle tone-shaping, or turn it up to around 3-o’clock for wet synth sound. Turning it to maximum sends the filter into self-oscillation.
- Volume knob: Allows the user to set the output volume of the effect, ranging from quieter than the bypassed signal, to boosted.
- Frequency expression jack: Connecting a passive expression pedal to the expression jack allows you to control the frequency of the filter with your feet, allowing for slow, resonant sweeps, or fast, funky squelches.
- Envelope follower: Adds envelope control over the filter frequency. An envelope Sensitivity knob controls how much your playing dynamics modulate the filter cutoff frequency; all the way counter-clockwise turns the envelope follower off completely.
- Envelope up/down switch: This control adds the potential for a downward envelope filter – the filter frequency starts high, and gets lower as you play louder. It’s a unique filter voice, and also allows for slow, swelling filter sounds.
- Envelope speed switch: A slow/fast switch, which changes the attack and decay response of the envelope follower.
- Clean blend volume knob: This control allows you to fade in the clean signal, which can recreate double-tracked synth/electric bass effects, or allow for extreme wet filter sounds while keeping the fundamental bass tone present.
- Measures 4.7″ x 2.5″ (12cm x 6.3cm). Runs on industry-standard 9 volt DC center negative power supply.
- Relay-based true bypass.
- Audio and expression jacks on the top of the pedal to save even more pedalboard space.
- You’ll need an expression pedal to get the most out of the Xerograph Deluxe. The Moog EP-2 is a good choice.
- Using a fuzz before the Xerograph Deluxe is highly recommended for the wettest synth-style filter sweeps. The Oxide was developed to pair especially well with the Xerograph.